Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Missing Mama Lola

One of my aunts left me an email stating that it was my maternal grandmother's birthday May 3rd. Whatever memories I have of her are few and far between, since she passed away when I was 6 years old. The things that I do remember about her though are still very vivid in my mind's eye, even after some 23 odd years.

I recall that she always liked to be in the kitchen and bake some goodies, which I happily devoured as my snack when I came home from school. I remember that she would sit beside me and help me with my schoolwork, since mom went to work and usually came home later than what would be considered a good time for studying or building up said study habits.

She loved cats, I believe, and tolerated the dogs which we had. (I can remember at least a few strays by the back of the house, since she always fed them -- the dogs pretty much grew used to it, and didn't even bother barking after a while) Yet, she lovingly made my then favourite puppy a vest to wear so that he wouldn't gnaw on the scabs that were healing due to a fight he got in to with the other neighborhood dogs. I also remember my dog not making it, and she was there for me even then.

She died what seems to me, quite suddenly, but she may have been sick for some time and only hid it from everybody else at home. I grow teary-eyed each time I remember her, and I can only imagine how my mom and her two sisters feel each time a memory is sparked.

I miss you, grams. I missed growing up with your patient presence, and I can only hope that wherever you are, it's a far better and more peaceful place than the one you left. Thanks for helping mold me into what I am now, and I hope that I never disappoint.

Happy birthday.

1 Comments:

Blogger jonasdiego said...

A good one, dude.

"Not all tears are evil..."

5/05/2005 10:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home