Wednesday, June 23, 2004

an excerpt from A Former Life

...she stands upon the hill looking to the heavens, seemingly oblivious to his presence. He hesitates, takes a deep steadying breath, and squares his jaw. As he is about to make known to her that he is there, she speaks.

"You're not coming back, are you?"

Caught unawares, he pauses, and chooses his words carefully.

"I would stay if only you ask it of me."

Tears rim her eyes, but she shows no emotion as she replies.

"I can't do that. You know that it's no longer up to me."

"It's Taz, isn't it?" he says, through clenched teeth.

She closes her eyes and the tears trickle down her face. She tries to mask her agony by trying to sound her usual indifferent self.

"He's no longer of import and soon, neither shall you."

Convinced by her feigned act, he nods determinedly and icily declares, "Then I shall take my leave. I have but scant minutes before take-off."

He bows stiffly to her turned back and walks away. She lets out her breath, only realizing that she's been holding it while he spoke. Immediately her tears flow freely.

"Safe journey, good sir. Your once-maiden and the child that shall never know pray for thee."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home