THE ATLANTIC CITY FILES: DAY TWO
06:00 AM. I awake with a start. The occupant of one of the rooms adjacent to ours is apparently drawing a bath. I decide to get up myself and stumble in the dark and into the bathroom. Flipping the switch, the light temporarily blinds me. While my eyes adjust, I get my bearings straight.
I really am in Atlantic City, participating in the Dance-O-Rama. This isn’t just any local event, and this isn’t the Sheraton where we hold our regular functions. I better get over the shock quick.
I get into my tuxedo pants and dress shirt, pin my number on my vest, and put on my patent leather shoes. I take a deep breath and step out of room 536. Since today’s events are more of the closed category, I needn’t worry… much.
07:30 AM. I am in the ballroom, looking for my students to warm them up. My hands are clammy; whether due to excitement or anxiety, I know not. What I do know is that I am hungry.
I navigate towards the refreshments area, and I find that the hotel had graciously set up coffee and tea. I drown myself in two cups of black coffee and resume my search for my students.
07:45 AM. 15 minutes before the first wave of dancing commences. There’re more people on the dance floor, either dancing with partners or going through the motions. By this time, it has been confirmed that breakfast will not be served. I help myself to another cup of coffee and patiently await my students.
07:55 AM. One of them finally show up and we get 2 dances in before the announcer requests that the first 5 heats begin lining up and that everybody clear the floor. At exactly 08:00 AM, the second day of Dance-O-Rama officially begins.
The first few heats of the day are for the Full Bronze category. My students fall under the Newcomer Bronze category so they have a few minutes of breathing space before having to get out on the floor.
Dancing is done by heats. Each heat can have as many as 24 couples to as little as 1 on the floor at a time. There are panels of judges for each floor and the dancers are graded by their skill and technique. Should there be only 1 couple on the floor, this does not immediately equate in having the highest ranking score; they dance against the standard of the dance.
The first 3 dances are Tango, Waltz, and Foxtrot. There are 24 couples in these quarter final rounds, and only 12 couples will be recalled for the semifinals which happen right after. The semifinal also has a Viennese Waltz and of the 14 couples, half will be recalled.
The excitement is intoxicating and I find that my students are no longer nervous. I make full use of this opportunity by telling them that they should just go out there and have fun. The semifinal round for Full Bronze finishes and Heat 6 is called.
Having but 3 couples in the Newcomer Bronze Closed Tango, we find ourselves sharing the floor with 5 couples from the Associate Bronze level. Whatever nuggets that I’ve implanted during the Full Bronze round, completely go out the window. From the corner of my eye, I find my student worrying and I surmise that she is feeling inadequate against those of a higher level. Since my back is to the judges (so that they can see my number), I smile at her and say: we got this.
Each dance runs for a minute and a half; just enough time for the judge to look at each couple for a maximum of 10 seconds. Never knowing when those particular 10 seconds would be, you can’t help but dance wholeheartedly for every second that you’re on the floor. A minute and a half may be quite fast, but it just seems to drag on forever when you are out on the floor with scores of eyes looking at you, appraising, critiquing every minute movement that you do. When faced with such scrutiny, one can’t do anything but perform to the best of their abilities.
The time finally runs out, and my student is surprised with how fast it seemed. I look at her and smile. I knew you could do it, I tell her. This seems to strengthen her resolve once more, and all the other dances that I have with her for that day go by with nary a hitch.
Each of the students that I dance with, I go through this same ritual. Some calm down right after their first heat; others take more coaxing before they relax into it. Over all, I think that they do a wonderful job on this second day.
At 05:00 PM, there is a respite from the dancing. Everyone is told that dinner begins at 06:00 PM, and that the dancing recommences at 07:00 PM. Having no Newcomers Bronze level after dinner, I make full use of this break by resting up and having a shower.
After dinner, I sit with my students and address any and all of their queries with regards to their performance, the dances being done that they’re not familiar with, and anything related to the event. I encourage them to watch some dancers, and perhaps pick up some styling, be it arm or otherwise that we would talk about once we were back in the studio. They agree and look on.
At 11:45 PM, the formations begin. These are the dances where there are more than one couple on the floor and that they have a common theme. The representatives from our studio are mother and daughter, dancing with their respective instructors. They dance to The Masochism Tango. Everybody seems to appreciate the humor in this and they receive a standing ovation.
At 11:55 PM, the Studio Team Match begins. These are the studios that have enough participants for each of the levels (Newcomers Bronze, Associate Bronze, Full Bronze, Associate Silver, Full Silver, and Gold) to make a team. They then dance with all the other couples in their category. It’s not as stressful as each dance of the day; it’s in fact set up to finish the day’s events with a bang.
By 12:45 AM, the matches are done, the parade is finished, and everybody crawls to their rooms. Come 2 AM, I finally find myself in bed, completely knocked out.
06:00 AM. I awake with a start. The occupant of one of the rooms adjacent to ours is apparently drawing a bath. I decide to get up myself and stumble in the dark and into the bathroom. Flipping the switch, the light temporarily blinds me. While my eyes adjust, I get my bearings straight.
I really am in Atlantic City, participating in the Dance-O-Rama. This isn’t just any local event, and this isn’t the Sheraton where we hold our regular functions. I better get over the shock quick.
I get into my tuxedo pants and dress shirt, pin my number on my vest, and put on my patent leather shoes. I take a deep breath and step out of room 536. Since today’s events are more of the closed category, I needn’t worry… much.
07:30 AM. I am in the ballroom, looking for my students to warm them up. My hands are clammy; whether due to excitement or anxiety, I know not. What I do know is that I am hungry.
I navigate towards the refreshments area, and I find that the hotel had graciously set up coffee and tea. I drown myself in two cups of black coffee and resume my search for my students.
07:45 AM. 15 minutes before the first wave of dancing commences. There’re more people on the dance floor, either dancing with partners or going through the motions. By this time, it has been confirmed that breakfast will not be served. I help myself to another cup of coffee and patiently await my students.
07:55 AM. One of them finally show up and we get 2 dances in before the announcer requests that the first 5 heats begin lining up and that everybody clear the floor. At exactly 08:00 AM, the second day of Dance-O-Rama officially begins.
The first few heats of the day are for the Full Bronze category. My students fall under the Newcomer Bronze category so they have a few minutes of breathing space before having to get out on the floor.
Dancing is done by heats. Each heat can have as many as 24 couples to as little as 1 on the floor at a time. There are panels of judges for each floor and the dancers are graded by their skill and technique. Should there be only 1 couple on the floor, this does not immediately equate in having the highest ranking score; they dance against the standard of the dance.
The first 3 dances are Tango, Waltz, and Foxtrot. There are 24 couples in these quarter final rounds, and only 12 couples will be recalled for the semifinals which happen right after. The semifinal also has a Viennese Waltz and of the 14 couples, half will be recalled.
The excitement is intoxicating and I find that my students are no longer nervous. I make full use of this opportunity by telling them that they should just go out there and have fun. The semifinal round for Full Bronze finishes and Heat 6 is called.
Having but 3 couples in the Newcomer Bronze Closed Tango, we find ourselves sharing the floor with 5 couples from the Associate Bronze level. Whatever nuggets that I’ve implanted during the Full Bronze round, completely go out the window. From the corner of my eye, I find my student worrying and I surmise that she is feeling inadequate against those of a higher level. Since my back is to the judges (so that they can see my number), I smile at her and say: we got this.
Each dance runs for a minute and a half; just enough time for the judge to look at each couple for a maximum of 10 seconds. Never knowing when those particular 10 seconds would be, you can’t help but dance wholeheartedly for every second that you’re on the floor. A minute and a half may be quite fast, but it just seems to drag on forever when you are out on the floor with scores of eyes looking at you, appraising, critiquing every minute movement that you do. When faced with such scrutiny, one can’t do anything but perform to the best of their abilities.
The time finally runs out, and my student is surprised with how fast it seemed. I look at her and smile. I knew you could do it, I tell her. This seems to strengthen her resolve once more, and all the other dances that I have with her for that day go by with nary a hitch.
Each of the students that I dance with, I go through this same ritual. Some calm down right after their first heat; others take more coaxing before they relax into it. Over all, I think that they do a wonderful job on this second day.
At 05:00 PM, there is a respite from the dancing. Everyone is told that dinner begins at 06:00 PM, and that the dancing recommences at 07:00 PM. Having no Newcomers Bronze level after dinner, I make full use of this break by resting up and having a shower.
After dinner, I sit with my students and address any and all of their queries with regards to their performance, the dances being done that they’re not familiar with, and anything related to the event. I encourage them to watch some dancers, and perhaps pick up some styling, be it arm or otherwise that we would talk about once we were back in the studio. They agree and look on.
At 11:45 PM, the formations begin. These are the dances where there are more than one couple on the floor and that they have a common theme. The representatives from our studio are mother and daughter, dancing with their respective instructors. They dance to The Masochism Tango. Everybody seems to appreciate the humor in this and they receive a standing ovation.
At 11:55 PM, the Studio Team Match begins. These are the studios that have enough participants for each of the levels (Newcomers Bronze, Associate Bronze, Full Bronze, Associate Silver, Full Silver, and Gold) to make a team. They then dance with all the other couples in their category. It’s not as stressful as each dance of the day; it’s in fact set up to finish the day’s events with a bang.
By 12:45 AM, the matches are done, the parade is finished, and everybody crawls to their rooms. Come 2 AM, I finally find myself in bed, completely knocked out.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home